Thursday, June 2, 2011

First Day of School

I arrived safe in San Jose and have a wonderful host family. We live about 20 minutes by bus to where I will be taking my classes. We had the first day of class today and it was definitely a little intimidating. We had to be up for 6 today and my host mom made us coffee and we had cereal. I'm staying with Daisha as well as one other student, Sam. We all are in the same room so it's cozy but everyone here is great. Our family took us on the bus this morning to show us how to get to school. Once there, all of the students were able to finally meet, it's a great group of people. We all received a lot of cultural information which did worry me a bit... Being from a small town I've never really experienced living somewhere where I had to worry about walking around alone or having certain items with me so it will definitely be a big adjustment but hopefully everything will work out fine.

We had an introduction to the program and later an introduction to the lab section but got out of class early. We decided to explore the mall since it looked like it was going to rain soon (it rains daily). The mall was interesting to see, it was open to the street and had two stories of a food court. I was a little surprised by the amount of fast food chains here although I guess they've made their way around the world.  After the mall a few of us went out to socialize for a bit before returning home. It's not even that late (2 hours earlier than home) but I'm pretty tired. Tomorrow will be another day of long class and then we are going rafting this weekend and need to be at the school by 6 am. They don't have daylights savings here so it's already completely dark outside and only 6 pm. It's not as hot as I thought it would be, it's very humid but I was comfortable in jeans for the day. We do have internet at the house so I should be able to update often :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment